For the month of May, Banza (Instagram: @eatbanza) is celebrating the deliciousness of plant-based meals. I wanted to support their #BanzaPlusPlants initiative the only way I know how, and that is through this delicious meal. Banza pasta is not your typical pasta. They ditched the typical wheat pasta, and substituted chickpeas instead. What does this mean for the pasta? Double the protein, four times more fiber, and nearly half the net carbs, without compromising the taste (https://www.eatbanza.com/pages/our-pasta). For this particular recipe, I decided to use the shell shaped pasta because these little shells act as mini bowls that hold the sauce, ensuring delicious goodness in every bite. So, if you like this recipe, leave a comment and be sure to share on social media using #BanzaPlusPlants and tag both @eatbanza and myself @nate_thechefboy_rd. Enjoy!
- 1 box Banza Shell Chickpea pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 1 cup shitake or oyster mushrooms
- 1 shallot
- 1 cup grilled corn kernels
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup mini grape tomatoes, multi-colored
- 2 grilled avocado, slice in half and grill until grill marks appear
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 Tbsp lemon or rice wine vinegar
- 1/2-3/4 cup almond milk
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- In a blender, combine avocado, cilantro, lemon juice or rice wine vinegar, almond milk, salt and pepper. Blend to a puree consistency. Continue tasting the sauce until you have reached desired flavor. Once sauce is made, set aside.
- Heat pan on medium high. Add oil and wait until pan is hot. Add asparagus, mushrooms, garlic, shallots, carrots, and corn. Cook until veggies are tender. Once cooked, add tomatoes.
- Combine vegetables, pasta and avocado sauce and mix so everything is coated evenly.
- Place pasta mixture in oven safe ramekin or mini cast iron pan (seen above). Top with mozzarella cheese (optional and broil until cheese is golden brown. Remove from oven, serve, and enjoy.